LCC for all:
“In my experience as a coach, I have seen how adults can benefit hugely from realising how emotional strains or limiting beliefs may have formed in the course of a lifetime, through no fault of their own. Therefore, the I realise series presents scenarios, immediately relevant to children, but also very familiar to adults who can see them as simplified metaphors of grown-up perceived limitations. In this way, the I realise stories can talk to children as well as adults, helping them understand themselves better, be more mindful and make better choices.” E. Betham
Titles in the I realise series all aim to help readers develop emotional intelligence and MINDFULNESS from a young age. These illustrated books are for children and adults:
- The Ball (E. Betham, 2019)
- Is it really true? (E. Betham, 2019)
- My emotions are helpful (E. Betham, 2020)
- I am I (E. Betham, 2020)
- No, thank you – Yes, please! (E. Betham, 2020)
- I can! (E. Betham, 2020)
These titles are also available in French.
LCC applied to ESL:
- Coaching For Language Learning (E. Betham, 2018): This book, with downloadable Interactive Projectable Classes in English for professionals, describes how LCC is applicable in many language and performance coaching situations.
Notes of teachers and learners of English:
CFLL is a content-based approach, with the coach assisting in research or an activity on a subject of interest to the learner (which is not always of a purely linguistic or grammatical nature). However, the target language is always used as a medium through which something is learnt.
Furthermore, CFLL incorporates professional coaching, as the approach advocates guiding the learners to develop their Emotional Intelligence and Mindfulness skills – so as to enhance self-awareness, such as one’s learning strategies, but also to improve communicative competence and performance – in the process of learning English.
The many advantages of the coaching approach for language learning are exposed in Coaching For Language Learning (CFLL), 2018. This book explains the rationale and provides many examples for CFLL as a very rewarding successful approach in ESL. It comes with ready-to-use Interactive Projectable Classes (IPCs) which are intended for Intermediate levels and up.
With the I realise series, more material is offered, which can be used with children and adults of earlier levels of English too.
For example, the I realise books can be used in CFLL in these ways:
- Silent reading, reporting and expanding (the learner can interpret each scenario, explain any message conveyed and give an example of how it may apply in their life).
- Shared reading (may include work on vocabulary or pronunciation), reflection and discussion.
- A study of the verbal and non-verbal language, used to convey messages in each book.
- Observation and discussion of the particularities and purposes of the language used.
- Work on emergent language: immediately enabling learners’ expression, or possibly following communicative activities so as not to hinder self-expression (coach’s assessment).
- Asking the learners to describe the scenarios in their own words.
- Asking the learners to describe different scenarios to convey the same messages.
- Dramatizing and/or role-playing relevant scenarios or situations.
Any such activities, where learners ‘cannot get it wrong’ and the coach offers support, will promote self-growth in learners while they are practicing and improving fast in the target language.
For all inquiries: CONTACT US